May 31, 2007

Orange Walk Town In Pictures: I

I've been busy taking pictures for a project that's coming up. The subject is Orange Walk Town. The picture above shows one of the main streets in the center of town. This shot was taken after 5pm just before the city buses start swarming into town. To the right my favorite burritos vendor. Further ahead is the prominent town clock which I believe is one of the most symbolic representations of the town.

There's only room for one in this fire station. The Orange Walk Town fire station is not the largest fire department in the world. No Dalmatians, no poles. This one storied building hosts, to my knowledge, the only fully equipped firetruck this town has ever seen — The Lucky No. 4. It's a 1973 Custom Cab Ford with a Caterpillar powered engine. The guy at the fire station said there should be two trucks but let's not get into that.

By the early 1900's, the society was heavily influenced by outsiders both culturally and spiritually. While it may not be the earliest sign of worship, La Inmaculada Church is a landmark in Orange Walk Town history. It is representative of a major religious development that has lasted for over a century. It, perhaps, is one of the most significant structures and indeed another symbolic icon of the town's past. In this picture, the janitors take a break under the shade adjacent to the left exit. It was taken around noon. The building at the far back is La Inmaculada Primary School which also extends to the left of the church. As a child, I've always wondered what was in that tank looking thing (below). It wasn't until a few months ago that I noticed some water dripping down. Turns out that it stores water for when it gets scarce. I'm sure we'll soon run out of it anyway.

Thanks for viewing not only my blog but blogs in general. I'll be posting some more pictures as the project progresses.

Update: Orange Walk Town in Pictures II is now available.

7 comments:

Beth said...

So that is how OW looks? I have only seen it through a bus window on a rare trip to Carozal (and beyond). One of these a day I will have to make a trip to OW for the stake of OW.

Nice pix.... they are clean and bright. When are you going t return El Cayo and take some pix for me?

Unknown said...

stunning last photo.. like the idea of keeping a monochromatic appeal.. the sky gives the same maudlin emotion..

Roy Rosado said...

Sup daggy laggy,
nice pics..? so how ur project coming along? The pics looks nice... well anyways ...hopefully soon we will join forces again...(stop laugh daggy) well anyways...blog looking nice...i guess i got to write something ha? anyways..handle u candle...

Beth said...

Yes, Roy, please do write something. I miss reading from you....

Beth said...

Now I remember where I have seen that church! It is on the cover of my excerise books!

Wow!

Smiling Is Happiness said...

Yah....... dats mah town........ SOOO..... SMALL.... but its pretty in some parts.... some parts need some good work like for the examples the ROADS!!!! those damn holes luk like if they cant be fixed!!! but its so.... interesting.... like Lamani!!!

Eddie Herrera said...

I'm a proud Orge Walkeno!!!!!